Thursday, August 29, 2013

Homemade Flour Tortillas

We go through a lot of tortillas at my house. I hated needing them for dinner, not having them on hand, going to the grocery store to get more and finding them not on sale. I figured there had to be an easy way to make tortillas at home. I found this recipe and tweaked it a little to work better for me. They are super tasty and easy to make!

What You Need
Makes 12-14 tortillas

3 cups Flour
1 cup Hot Water
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Garlic Powder



What To Do

Step 1: Combine all dry ingredients into your mixer. Add the oil, then slowly add the hot water. Mix until thoroughly combined.



Step 2: Flour the surface you are going to be rolling your dough on. Make a 2 inch ball out of the dough. Gently flatted the ball with you hand. Roll the dough until it is 1/4 inch thick and 6-8 inches wide. Repeat until all of the dough has been used. *You can cook the tortillas as you go or place them on Saran Wrap, alternating between Saran Wrap and precooked tortillas. I generally will cook them as I go but end up rolling them out faster then they cook. So I end up having a backlog in Saran Wrap.





Step 3: Cook the tortillas on Medium heat until browned on both sides. Store in a tortilla warmer until you are ready to serve them. Enjoy! *Tortillas will be good in the fridge for about 5-7 days or go to Step 4 for a bonus recipe!


Step 4: Use your leftover tortillas to make tortilla chips. Preheat over to 350°. Cut tortillas into triangle pieces (about 8 per tortilla)Place on a baking sheet, making sure they do not touch. Salt if desired. Bake for about 10 minutes or until slightly browned. Enjoy! *They are also great as an alternative to pita chips! I enjoy mine with humus.


No comments :

Post a Comment