Saturday, August 2, 2014

Mexican Biscuit

This is my favorite Mexican pastry. I always have them for breakfast when I go to Mexico. It took a bit of searching but I finally found a recipe for them. Once I did I had to translate it to English, convert the measurements from weights to volumes, then tweak the recipe to perfection. It took some work but I think I have perfected it. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do :)



What You Need
Make 32 Biscuits (depending on size)

5 tbsp Warm Milk
1 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
1/4 cup Sugar
1 3/4 cup Flour
2 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/3 cup + 1 tsp Shortening
3 tbsp Butter
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Eggs



What To Do

Step 1: Place the warm milk, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Let set for 5-10 mins until it starts to bubble.


Step 2: Place the flour and baking powder in the bowl of your stand mixer (you can also mix by hand if you don't have a stand mixer). Add the milk, yeast and sugar to the flour and baking powder. Then add the butter and shortening. Mix together until it becomes a sandy mixture. Then add 1 egg, salt, and vanilla until everything comes together.


Step 3: Once mixed, kneed the dough. You can do this by hand for about 5 minutes or in the mixer (using the dough hook attachment) for about 3 minutes. I do it in my mixer. This is a little harder to do by hand because the dough has a lot of fat in it. It tends to stick more then other doughs.

 

Step 4: Sprinkle your surface with flour. Be a bit generous since the dough is extra sticky. Roll out the dough to about 1/4-1/3 inch thick.

 
 

 Step 5: Using a cookie cutter (or if you don't have one a jar) cut circles out. Keep re-balling up the dough, rolling it out and cutting more circles until you have used up all the dough.

 

Step 6: Place all the biscuits on baking sheets lined with parchment papers. Then make a circle in the middle of each biscuits. I use a frosting tip to do this. Make sure to make an indent and not go all the way through the dough.

 
 

 Step 7: Brush biscuits with egg. Let rise until the biscuits have doubled in size, about 45 mins.


Step 8: Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Place on a baking tray to cool. Enjoy!
 

No comments :

Post a Comment